COVID-19 Resources: Housing

Rent and Utility Assistance

UPDATE: The City of Waltham has opened a new round of rental assistance for Waltham residents with a grant that can be used for up to two months of rent!

For more information and to apply 

For help contact Suzi at 781-891-6689 x203 or 781-570-4394 or send an email to


RAFT Program

The RAFT Program (Residential Assistance for Families in Transition) is a homelessness prevention program funded by the MA Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) administered by Metro Housing Boston.

RAFT provides short-term financial assistance of up to $4,000 for rent and utilities to low-income families who are behind on these bills.

Apply for RAFT here.   For help applying to the RAFT program, send an email to

If you applied for RAFT and received a “no available waiting lists at this time” notification or have not heard back in more than a month, please try to apply with Suzi’s help from WATCH. Suzi Solomon’s email is

Center for Disease Control issued a Federal Eviction Moratorium effective September 1 - December 31, 2020 with specific requirements. 

However, the Massachusetts eviction moratorium remains in place for MA residents until October 17, 2020. This is a stronger protection than the federal moratorium and covers tenants including subtenants and does not require a written statement to landlord.

With this said, MA can extend state eviction moratorium beyond Oct. 17 OR MA tenants will be protected by federal moratorium after Oct. 17.

For more information

WATCH recommends that you send, within 30 days of when rent was due, a letter, email, or text to your landlord stating why you can not pay your rent. Keep a copy for your records.

If a landlord is harassing you or threatening to evict you, please call Suzi at 781-891-6689 x203 or 781-570-4394 or send an email to


Read this flyer about COVID-19 and Eviction
Watch this video info session about the eviction moratorium.

Affordable Housing

The Ridge

Apartments located at 55 Ridge Lane, Waltham, MA. They reserve 40-50 units for low-income housing. No units are available right now. To get on a waitlist for affordable housing call (781)-894-7300 or email

Currents on the Charles

Apartments are located at 36 River Street, Waltham, MA. They reserve 20 units for low-income housing. There is one one-bedroom apartment available now (updated 7/24/2020). There is a waitlist for the rest of the affordable units. To get on the waitlist for affordable units please call (617)-272-8000 (when instructed press 3 to reach an on-site staff member).


The MassAccess Housing Registry helps people to find affordable rental and homeownership opportunities in Massachusetts. A key feature of the Registry is to highlight homes for people with disabilities who need accessible or barrier-free housing.


Use this link to find affordable housing in Boston and the greater Boston area. You can search for current units available and sign up for the Metrolist email list to receive updates when new affordable units are listed.


Use this link to search for affordable housing.

Use this link to search for workforce housing developments - housing that is available for those who earn too much to qualify for traditional affordable housing but cannot afford market rents.


Use this link to search for affordable housing.

Handicap Accessible Affordable Housing 

  • - Under "Special Features," select "Disability Access."
  • - After searching for your desired location, click to open the menu under "Amenities"; then under "Community Amenities," select "Disability Access."
  • - Under "Community Amenities," select "Disability Access."
  • - Select "Search by Amenities," and then under "Special Features," select "Disability Access."
  • - After searching for your desired location, select "Handicapped Accessible" under "Property Features" and/or "Handicap Access" under "Community Feature" (if available).

Additional Resources

WATCH CDC Housing Clinic - One-on-one Free Housing Counseling & Assistance

Assistance in responding to the threat of eviction, as well as assistance applying for:

  • Housing
  • Rental assistance
  • Food stamps
  • Fuel assistance

Call WATCH at 781-891-6689 ext. 203 and leave a message for a return call, or fill out this online request form.

Fannie Mae

If your building is financed by Fannie Mae (renters), then you may qualify for additional benefits such as: assistance with FEMA and insurance claims after a natural disaster, access to HUD-approved housing counselors, federal and state housing assistance information, guidance on unemployment benefits, nutritional assistance and any other available programs, and nonlegal support in communicating with landlords. They have a form you can fill out to determine eligibility on this page.