WATCH has a 30 year history of organizing in Waltham. The organization began as an association of tenant activists, and its strongest advocacy remains in housing. WATCH's programs and actions are driven by the strength and power of the Waltham community. Click here to view a comprehensive list of our 30 year history in relation to affordable housing and tenant advocacy.
Eviction Moratorium/ Rent Freeze
- We are asking that Mayor Jeannette McCarthy and the members of the Waltham City Council to protect Waltham tenants. Please sign our petition to protect Waltham tenants. Sign the petition
- WATCH is advocating to transform the Waltham Armory into affordable housing. For more information, click here.
- WATCH played a key role in the passage of an updated Inclusionary Zoning policy that increased affordable housing units in new developments from 15% to 20% and now we are fighting to make those new affordable units to 50% AMI.
- WATCH is also responsible for the creation and maintenance of Waltham's first Local Voucher Program, currently in its third year of operation!
We are currently working towards our next campaign. If you are curious as to what that might look like, check out our Affordable Housing Plan 2020.
Current Policy Positions
State Policy Action Alerts
Use this find my legislator tool to contact your legislators.
→ Call your legislators and urge them to support bill HD.5166/SD.2992, an act to guarantee housing stability during the COVID-19 emergency and recovery. Here is a fact sheet about the bill. Click here to sign a petition.
Here is a script to use when calling legislators:
"Hello, my name is ________, and I live in the city of ________. I'm calling to ask (state your legislator's name) to take action to protect tenants and small owners from eviction and foreclosures due to the COVID-19 crisis. Please co-sponsor HD.5166/SD.2992, An Act to Guarantee Housing Stability During the COVID-19 Emergency and Recovery, introduced by Representatives Mike Connolly and Kevin Honan and Senator Pat Jehlen on June 30th. Also, please vote YES on the Tenant Protection Act."
→ Help move forward legislation, S.2785, to ensure low-income tenants have access to full legal representation in housing court. This bill is critical as eviction cases will be brought to court when COVID-19 eviction moratorium ends on 8/18. Click here for more information.
→ Click here to view a comprehensive list of critical actions you can take right now to protect tenants during the COVID-19 crisis.
→ Click here to view current national and state police reform legislation and learn how to contact your representatives.
Budget Priorities for COVID-19 Response -
Click this link to learn about learn about crucial budget priorities in the COVID-19 response.
WATCH Tenant Action Group
All of WATCH's campaigns and programs are developed from communication and collaboration with the communities they serve. If you want to get involved in housing advocacy as a tenant, consider joining the Tenant Action Group at WATCH.
Come join other tenants to:
- Learn more about how to apply for affordable housing
- Take action together to improve the overall housing situation for tenants in Waltham.
The Tenant Action Group is free to join and participate in. Refreshments are provided, and childcare and translation are both available. Simply call to let us know your needs.
For more information, contact Genoveva by phone at 781-891-6689 ext. 208 or by email.