COVID-19 Resources: Legal Resources
Legal Resources if you are facing eviction:
- If you are behind on your rent, apply for rental assistance.
Chapter 257 of the Massachusetts General Laws, states that an Eviction can be delayed if the tenant has applied for emergency rental assistance. If you are behind on rent, please apply for rental assistance here
- Find out which court will hear your case:
Depending on where the landlord files the case, it can be heard in either the Waltham district court or in the northeastern housing court. Look at your court summons to see which court your case will be heard in.
You can look up the status of your case or ask questions of the court clerk here:
- Get legal assistance- Call these agencies to get legal representation.
Provides free legal advice and assistance through "lawyer for a day" program at the Northeastern Housing Court in Woburn. Clients whose cases are in Waltham District court can also contact this office for help.
Provides "Limited assistance representation” and will refer cases if more legal help is needed than they can provide.
For information about other legal services for people with low incomes, contact:
- Massachusetts Legal Resource Finder
- Greater Boston Legal Services, 617-371-1234 or 1-800-323-3205 Monday-Friday, 9 am - 12 pm, Emergency housing situations, immigration asylum cases, denial of benefits, domestic violence, unemployment denial, job related issues, and other situations.
- The Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School, 617-522-3003
- Harvard Law School Tenancy Advocacy Project 617-495-4394, firstname.lastname@example.org, For tenants of and applicants to public and subsidized housing at administrative hearings at housing authorities:
- MetroWest Legal Services, Framingham - 508-620-1830 or 800-696-1501, For people ages 60+ Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 10:00am - 1:00pm; Tuesday, Thursday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Boston College Legal Services LAB, Newton- 617-552-0248 Open Fall and Spring (Closed Summer). They offer a multitude of programs such as Civil Litigation, Community Enterprise, and Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Learn more here
- Jewish Family and Children’s Service Legal Services (Bet Tzedek), Waltham 781-647-5327; Housing, Family Law, Public Benefits, Consumer Law, Domestic Violence, Elder Law, and Probate Law, SNAP (food stamp) issues.
- Massachusetts Legal Clinic for the Homeless 617-544-3434 ext. 110 email@example.com
- Community Legal Services and Counseling Center, Cambridge (617) 661-1010
- The Commision on the Status of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren offers a multitude of resources including legal resources, financial resources and support services. Learn more here , call 617-748-2454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boston Rape Crisis Center has a new office in Waltham - 24 Crescent St Suite 202. Legal resources, medical advocacy, counseling and support services are available.
- MassHire offers help for those having trouble with their unemployment compensation claims. Learn more here or call 508-861-7993 extension 711 to speak with the Operations Manager
Other Sources of Legal Information: