Standard Public Housing Applications
To learn about and apply for public housing, visit the official website or call the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) at 617-573-1150.
See also our list of nearby housing authorities.
How to Apply with the Standard Application for State Aided Public Housing, MRVP and AHVP
*Note to Waltham Residents: the Waltham Housing Authority does NOT accept applications for MRVP and AHVP
- Obtain an application from your local housing authority, or print a copy of the standard application. If you need help filling out the application, help is available at the WATCH Housing Clinic.
- If you print the application from the web, make sure that you also print and fill out these two forms:
- Applicant’s Declaration of Residency and Authorization to Release Information
- Fair Information Act- Statement of Rights
- Optional: If you are applying for either type of Handicapped housing, you’ll fill out:
- Optional: If you are elderly or disabled and applying in Waltham, print and fill out the Application to Waltham Housing Authority for Federal Housing Assistance.
- Fill out the forms as completely and accurately as possible
- If possible, include THREE proofs of residency (documents showing your mailing address, such as a lease, paystub, utility bill or medical bill) and proof of your income and a recent bank statement. If you do not include these with your application, then the Housing Authority will ask you for them later.
- If you are using an application from a housing authority, mail it to that housing authority. If you are using a universal application, you can send it to more than one housing authority. Keeping a copy for your records is recommended.
Emergency Housing Applications
How to Apply For Emergency State-Aided Public Housing
(If you are in a situation that you feel warrants Emergency Housing, please seek out help from WATCH or another advocacy organization for further assistance)
- Make sure you are eligible by reading the “Checklist of Required Verification Document for Priority Status”
- Follow All Steps for the Standard Application as described above
- Also fill out the Universal Emergency Application for State-Aided Housing found here
- Or, obtain an emergency application from your local housing authority that matches the standard application that you used. Read and follow the “Emergency Application Instructions”
To Apply for Section 8 Voucher
Go to http://section8listmass.org/How_to_Apply.php (there is the option to apply online or on paper). If you apply on paper, print out the pre-application, fill it out, and mail it to your town’s housing authority.
For an explanation of section 8 and how it works, go to this site
Note: In order to apply for federal public housing and section 8 vouchers, the primary person on the application needs to have a social security number or an alien registration number. This is not a requirement for applications for state funded housing.