Resources: Utilities

If you have a shut-off notice:

1.  Apply for fuel assistance immediately (see below).  By doing so you can usually get the shut-off notice postponed.

2.  Set up a payment plan or apply for RAFT for up to $2,500 in overdue utilities.

**CLOSED** Fuel Assistance (Oil, Gas or Electric Heat Program)

The Fuel Assistance Program provides financial assistance to low-income residents who either rent or own. The assistance is paid directly to the energy provider, such as the oil, gas or electric company. In our area, Community TeamWork in Lowell distributes the federal fuel assistance payments.

To apply by phone, call  (978) 459-6161 Mon-Thurs (8:30am-5:00pm), Fri (9:30am-5:00pm)

Individuals can now apply online for fuel assistance!

  • Individuals who are able to apply on their own can apply online, create an account, upload documents, and sign the application.
  • At the end of the form, the applicant will be able to make the [required] follow-up phone appointment with Community Teamwork staff.
  • CTI staff will call the client on the day/time of the appointment to review their application

To apply for fuel assistance, please go to [Community Teamwork of Lowell]

You will need to have the following documents in order to apply:

  • Photo ID for all household members 18 and older (MA License, Passport, etc.)
  • Birth Certificate for all under age 18
  • Social Security Cards for all members of your household
  • If you rent, provide the name, address, and telephone number of your landlord, and a current copy of your lease or a letter from your landlord. If your rent is subsidized, please submit your housing addendum or tenant profile
  • If you own your home, please submit your mortgage, if any, property tax bill, annual home insurance and condo or lot fees if applicable
  • A current gas and electric bill with your name , address and account number
  • A recent heating bill with your name and account number
  • Proof of income (if any) for all household members

If you have a shut off notice, you can go to the Lowell office for quicker assistance.  Community Teamwork Inc, 45 Kirk Street, 2nd floor, Lowell.  Please bring the above documents.  Mon-Thurs (8:30am-5:00pm), Fri (9:30am-5:00pm) (978) 459-6161

Clarification on “Social Security Number” Policies

  1. Assistance is pro-rated based on the number of people in the family who have Social Security Numbers (SSNs).
  2. Households with NO family members with SSNs are encouraged to apply anyway and will be considered for (but not guaranteed)f any assistance that the Community Teamwork agency has available at that time.

RAFT - state rent and utility assistance

Eligibility: 80% AMI Income limit
Utilities: up to $2,500 of utilities overdue - requires a shut off notice.
Need an update on an application?  If you applied for assistance to Metro Housing Boston online and it’s been more than 3 weeks, you can contact Metro Housing Boston to get a status update.  Email or call 617-544-9330. If you applied through WATCH, please contact Daisy at or 781-570-4423.

Salvation Army 

The Salvation Army Fund offers one-time grants for eligible consumers. The fund is available to any Massachusetts resident who cannot meet a month's energy expense because of temporary financial difficulty and is not eligible for state or federal energy assistance. To determine eligibility, contact the Salvation Army at (800) 334-3047.

TheJoe-4-Oil Heat Program

TheJoe-4-Oil Heat Program offers free heating oil to people who can't afford to pay their heating bills. Each eligible household can receive a one-time delivery per heating season of 100 gallons of home heating oil, free of charge. To apply for assistance, call 877-563-4645.

If tenants have a shut off notice, they can apply for utility assistance through the state’s RAFT (Rental Assistance for Families in Transition) program. This program will pay for up to $2,500 in utility bills, and no social security number is required. Apply at

**CLOSED** WATCH Tenant Assistance Fund- For Waltham Residents:

WATCH can pay up to $300 if you have a shut off notice and have applied for fuel assistance but can not get RAFT because you have already received the max amount of $10,000/year.

To apply:

Current client- contact your WATCH case manager (Daisy, Karla, Sarah, Carlos, Daria or Genoveva) OR fill out this form

New Client - fill out a new client intake form 

Brookline Care Center

Address: 41 Garrison Road, Brookline, MA 02445
Phone Number: (857) 707-3525
Hours of operation: Monday - Thursday 8:30am-8:00pm and Friday 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Eligibility: Brookline residents, including those who are currently homeless, are eligible for all services. Newton, Waltham, and Watertown residents are eligible for services that help avoid eviction and homelessness. We can also help people in neighboring communities’ access alternate resources.

Jewish Family & Children Services (JF&CS)

Address: 1430 Main St, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone Number: 781-647-JFCS (5327)
Hours of operation: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m

Eligibility: Financial assistance is available primarily for housing costs, moving expenses, fuel, and utilities. Income eligibility and other criteria apply.

Please make payment plans only if you are certain you can comply with the agreement.  Do not sign a contract or verbally agree to a contract you do not fully understand.  

Eversource Programs

Payment Plan If you missed payments and have a past due balancePay off your balance  over a period of time with no interest and no money down. Call 866-861-6225.

Budget Billing  Manage your budget and have consistent bill each month. Set up budget billing and pay a fixed rate each month based on your average annual usage. Call 866-861-6225.

Income-Based Assistance Programs  Designed for lower-income customers, you may be able to participate in these programs if you meet income and eligibility guidelines as set by your state.

New Start  Eliminate portions of your overdue balance by making payments each month. Call 866-351-2496.
Can only be used once in a lifetime.

Discount Rate Receive a discount on your monthly energy bill if you qualify. Call 866-861-6225.

National Grid

Payment Plans 

Energy Efficiency 

Get free or reduced priced weatherization and energy efficiency measures for renters and homeowners. 

Go to or call 978-459-6161.

Shut Offs - Gas and Electricity

The Department of Public Utilities (DPU)

The DPU prohibits utility companies from shutting off service from November 15 to March 15, if anyone in the home:

  • Is under 12 months or older than 65,
  • Has a serious or chronic illness like diabetes, ADHD, asthma, or
  • Cannot afford to pay for heat for the winter months (November-March, and sometimes to April).

Please contact your utility company for more information.

Internet and Phone


Internet Essentials - This plan gives you $9.95 internet connection. Call to see if you qualify.  1-855-846-8376

Comcast offers two plans for people that are over 60 days late in paying their bill. The New Start and The Matching Program, both forgive some portion of debt but the key is not skipping any month. Otherwise individuals are out of the program and they can't apply again. It also avoids disconnection for lack of payment.


Lifeline is a federal program that lowers the monthly cost of phone and internet. Eligible customers will get up to $9.25 toward their bill. You can only use Lifeline for either phone or internet, but not both. To get Lifeline, find a company near you.

If you receive Food Stamps or Mass Health, you may be eligible to receive a free cell phone with a certain number of free monthly minutes. You can apply online at or

USAC Affordable Connectivity Program

Families with a student in Waltham public schools are eligible through CEP. There are also other ways to qualify. The program can provide a discount if individuals already have a provider or some providers offer free internet through modem or hotspots.

Other Resources